For years I used a water smoker grill to barbecue chicken. Mainly, because a water smoker is self-basting and it holds in the moisture that many other grills cannot even think of doing.
Along came a Traeger! Before I received mine as a Christmas gift, I had no idea that they would hold the moisture into a chicken, or any meat, almost as well as a water smoker grill.
Now, I have no hassles with a good water smoker...there just maybe not as convenient to use as a Traeger. I'm still a big advocate of water smokers and will always be.
On with the Traeger recipe for chicken:
First, it is not very economical to do just one chicken on a Traeger. I always put something else on with it...like a pork loin or another chicken. Also, you can do some baked potatoes at the same time...they just taste better when they are cooked on a grill.
1) Clean chicken inside and out. Rub on a little EVOO over the body and into the cavity.
2) Use a quality Rub like Chef Paul Prudhomme's “Poultry Magic”or his “Barbecue Magic”. Both are excellent Rubs and economical to use. Apply a generous portion to the bird and put some into the cavity. Rub in thoroughly, and apply again but don't rub in this time.
3) Marinate over night in the fridge in a safe and closed marinating container...no aluminum or metal containers.
4) Next day, take the chicken out of the fridge and set it out on the counter while you start the Traeger. Get it up to 350 degrees or Medium Heat. I use fruit wood pellets.
5) I use an aluminum foiled lined oven pan. I don't want any juices to escape, and it kind of self-bastes the chicken while it's cooking. Plus, aftermath...I don't do messy grills.
6) Cooking time is usually anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours. Stick a meat thermometer into the bird...190 degrees for poultry.
7) Wrap it up into the foil when done and let it sit for fifteen minutes.
Enjoy! Like my favorite chef, best griller in the world, and friend George Hirsch would say: “Know your fire!” I don’t ask that you send me 100K for my BBQ and cooking tips. But, hey, it's cool if you only send a little! See the Donate Button upper right. It really helps with the bills. If not, please check out my sponsors and ads. Thank you, it’s appreciated! Please see bottom of page for Product Disclosure and Privacy Disclosure. “Semper Fi” To All Marines!